As season six comes to an end, we get to look back over the last 24 episodes to reveal a year in which Densi became much more than partners, family members were revealed and in Callen’s case, others still missing. The last time we left our intrepid heroes, they were on their way to Mother Russia to continue their chase after the stolen oil and to find and rescue Arkady’s daughter, Anna. Veteran showrunners, Kyle Harimoto and JP Kousakis have the honors of wrapping this season up before we break for summer hiatus and you know they are going to do their best to keep us on the edge of our seats.
The episode started off with an exciting chase sequence, and the action had its moments throughout the program until it was mysteriously missing from the last ten minutes. No cliffhanger really, just a subtle finale of possible things to come? It turned out to be a simple story unlike some of the other episodes in the past where you needed the Cliff Notes to follow along. This tale was really a vehicle to find out more about G Callen and his Russian background, and we finally discover why Arkady has a soft spot for the NCIS agent and the connection he has to his father. With Hetty’s help Callen learns more about how his parent escaped from the Gulag and helped many people escape from Russia, but he is devastated to find out he died just a short time ago. We are still left with so many unanswered questions. Callen visiting his father’s gravesite was particularly heartbreaking. We had been hoping since he first discovered more about his father that the two would eventually be able to reunite someday but that seems impossible now…..or is it?
I was certainly shocked that there was no real nail biting cliff-hanger to this final episode of Season 6. Is that a good or bad thing? I’m not sure. After I had a chance to think about it, I realized I preferred it to the lame ending we were given last season. This at least gives us more to think about and how it could affect the rest of the series. I feel we may be getting closer to the final season for NCIS:LA. As Callen starts to unravel his past and we get closer to finding out what happened to the young boy who watched his mother gunned down, I think we are also getting closer to seeing the show come to an end. I hope I’m wrong. Because I’m concerned if that’s the case, we may never get to find out more about Deeks’ backstory and that would be a crime. We finally had our prayers answered when Densi fell in love this season. So now we can only wait patiently and hope that the showrunners will grant us this last request so we can get to know more about Marty Deeks and what makes him tick. Let’s cross our fingers and expect great reveals to come out of Season 7!
• Hetty and Arkady! A new comedy act? It was fun to see them sparring with each other throughout the episode. (Hetty: I was the queen of the prom, sweetheart!)
• Granger turning over Beale to the Russians?… no pressure Eric!
• Anna is a chip off the old block! No love lost there!
• So much for a formidable villain! Karposev didn’t live long enough to pose a threat, did he?
• I think this is the first time we’ve heard Kensi speak Russian. The girl is sexy in any language.
• Enjoyed the storming of the hotel rooms to disrupt the auction. Each member of the crew was a one man (woman) destruction team!
• Vyto Ruginis is so much fun to watch. Not sure what all the singing was about but it was one of the highlights of the show. So shocked to see him gunned down. Glad he survived to tell the tale, but will he return again next season?
• Hetty married? At least we found out a little bit more about Hetty’s undercover past.
• Kensi still hates when Deeks is over protective. You’d think she would be used to it by now! (Deeks: Again. You’re welcome!)
One more season in the can! We will wrap up this week as always, with Deeks’ Surf Log and Kensi’s Journal. Find out what they are feeling about their undercover mission in Russia. We have more drawings and auctions for Pets of the Homeless (please help us support this wonderful charity!) over the summer and of course we will return with a new FanFic Relay! So enjoy your holidays and time off and we will see you back here in the fall for Season 7!
Episode: “Chernoff, K.”
Writer: Kyle Harimoto
Director: John Peter Kousakis
Original Air Date: May 11, 2015
Diane Volpe is a Contributing Editor at wikiDeeks.com.
Follow her on Twitter: @phillydi