After the hit and miss season that we witnessed last year, truthfully, I really didn’t know what to expect going into Season 7. According to Mr. Brennan, this year the show is going to try and bring closure to many of the mysteries that have plagued Callen since we got to first meet the brooding agent. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been beyond ready to see a lot of those secrets of his past laid to rest. Luckily we don’t have long to wait. The unveiling has begun as Callen searches this episode for Arkady and a link to his lost father.
But Callen has gone rogue again and once again the team is out to set him straight with orders from Hetty and Granger. It’s amazing Callen has lasted as long as he has in his line of work with his constant insubordination. Perhaps he’s always had his mentor to protect him and pick up the pieces of his difficult life, and this time was no different. But he was really pushing it to the limit and Hetty definitely deserved his loyalty. I hope he remembers that the next time.
The IA investigation rears its ugly head again for the first time this season and Deeks is really worried. If it prevents him from cracking a joke, you know it’s serious. The more interesting point is that he still has no idea what the investigation could be about. To be blindsided is even more frightening… and that’s why Deeks AND Kensi are so concerned over the investigation. Stay tuned for more on this event.
• Deeks never has a bad day, Sam! You should know that by now.
• Callen still leads an austere life I see. Would it kill him to put a few pictures on the wall?
• Hard to watch Callen be so dismissive of Hetty. Why didn’t he feel that he could talk to his friends? They all deserve his loyalty.
• Sabatino makes a return to the team, and I’m glad to see he’s stopped hitting on Kensi!
• Poor Eric… not sure I’d want to see a gun in his hand either. A nerf gun sound about right.
(Sam: One thing at a time, grasshopper.) Great interactive scene between the two.
• Of course there’s an app for that Deeks! It’s called FBI Agent Finder. HA!
• Hetty’s concern for the lost boy she found years ago is touching. She will always be a mother figure to Callen. And he will always be her favorite. Yet I didn’t see that taser attack coming!
• Eric’s ‘snapped’ theory was hysterical. Where does the geek come up with these things? (Eric: Go all Jason Bourne.) & (Sam: He’s got a mind like a computer, unfortunately it’s a Commodore 64.)
• Great to watch tiny Hetty physically stand up to the brick wall called Sam Hanna. Something you don’t see every day. (Granger: You, go drink some tea or something.) Their makeup scene at the end was even better!
• The Bromance is back! (Granger: You two are just adorable.) Granger cracks me up!
Memorable Kensi and Deeks
We start the year off right with one of the best banter scenes between Densi in a long time. Deeks trying to talk Kensi into stopping her run to eat breakfast was a very adorable peek into their off-work life. I’m very proud of Kensi, too. I thought she would get pretty jealous of Deeks’ obvious trail of admirers. But besides that shot in the arm, she seems to be pretty secure in their relationship. (Deeks: Party Marty. That’s a tough one.)
Wow we really hear the two expressing their love to each other! Did we ever think we would have heard those three little words back in the “How’s that for Communication?” era? We’ve come a long way, baby!
Deeks: Why would anyone name their kid Vostanik?
Nell: I’m pretty sure it’s Armenian.
Deeks: Yeah, that’s no excuse.
Loved watching Deeks squirm every time the bathhouse was mentioned. The original episode will always be one of the more memorable Deeks’ moments in the show’s history and Gemmill played it up at every turn:
Kirkin: Where’s the cute fairy one?
Callen: Deeks wasn’t able to make it but he sends his regards.
Deeks: I’m still having nightmares of big, sweaty men drowning me.
Sam: That’s too much information, Deeks. Way too much.
Kirkin: I didn’t recognize you with your clothes on.
Deeks: If I had a nickel….
We have the emotions flowing in this episode and that’s a good way to start the season. Even Deeks’ erotic thoughts are turning emotional. Interesting to see an entire episode centered on Callen’s ‘need to know’. If that means we’re going to be concentrating on the show’s main characters more, then I’m all in. Gemmill’s script was witty and funny and a nice change from some of the heavier stories from last season. As always JPK’s direction was spot on. Definitely a good first effort all around.
I couldn’t tell by the next week’s promo, but will this be the episode all Deeks fans have been waiting for? It’s the first Dave Kalstein script of the year, and not only do we get to welcome another familiar face (Talia), but we finally get to meet the elusive Mrs. Deeks, or is it Brandel? Maybe a few more clues will be dropped and her appearance will fill in some of Deeks’ backstory. But as we heard from Shane Brennan at PaleyFest, don’t go holding your breath just yet folks… we are going to have to wait at least until Season 8 for the unveiling of the long awaited episode “Deeks, M.” I don’t think there is an emoji to express how I feel about that one!
Hurray! Deeks’ Surf Log is back and so is Kensi’s Journal… so be sure to stop by later this week and take a peek into our favorite characters’ thoughts about this week’s mission. See you next time!
Episode: “Active Measures”
Writer: R. Scott Gemmill
Director: John P. Kousakis
Original Air Date: September 21, 2015
Diane Volpe is a Contributing Editor at wikiDeeks.com.
Follow her on Twitter: @phillydi