This week we’re going to continue with our wish fulfillment discussion, focusing on the Top 3 scenes that never aired on the show. What key missing scenes would you most like to insert back into an episode?
We’re all aware of some key scenes that were actually filmed and then never aired. Some were included on the DVD, and at least one was not. But I’m not limiting myself to scenes that we know exist; this Top 3 can also include scenes that I think should exist. The only limitation is that they need to involve Deeks or Densi. Also, this is a list of scenes from episodes past, as opposed to my earlier Top 3 Most Wanted Scenes, which contained scenes I hoped for in a future episode.
The Top 3
On a procedural show like NCIS:LA, there’s really no end to the missing scenes from these characters’ private lives. I’m sure I’m missing some really great examples from my list of semifinalists. In the end, I think I chose two of my Top 3 in an effort to rectify some serious character-related issues. The other choice was based on a desire to make certain events canon. In reverse order of importance, my Top 3 is…
#3. Post-“Drive”: Kensi apologizes for missing Deeks’ birthday
There are quite a few reasons why “Drive” (written by Joe Sachs) is among the most disliked episodes in the Densi fandom, but perhaps the biggest is the way Kensi not only forgets Deeks’ birthday, but makes no effort to make up for it until a subsequent episode when she gives him the infamous Box. Many fans were horribly angry at Kensi’s behavior, and held it against her long after the episode. I wish there could have been one final scene where Kensi shows up at Deeks’ apartment after her “date” with Jaime, and offers Deeks a make-up gift. I would be totally happy with the version proposed by thewingsofnight in her excellent Essential Episode review, or any of the bajillion others floating around in fan fiction as the fandom desperately tried to fix this mess.
#2. Post-“Recovery”: Kensi and Deeks sleep together
The final scene of “Recovery” (written by Gil Grant) was a good one, but I desperately needed it to be the second to last scene. I needed that infamous deleted scene that appears on the DVD to be included in the episode; I need that to be canon. I was hugely frustrated with the lack of clarify over what happened that night. I chose to believe they had slept together because I didn’t think “The Frozen Lake” made sense otherwise, but I wanted to know for sure. And I also wanted to see it, I wanted to be there when they had their second real kiss and more.
#1. Pre-“Windfall”: Kensi and Hetty debrief with a remorseful and truthful Hetty
Here’s my latest attempt to salvage Hetty’s character from a season that took her from one of my favorites to one of my least favorites. During “Spoils of War” (written by Frank Military), Hetty professes guilt over Kensi’s predicament, but she does so with Nell. I needed a scene where she came clean to Kensi- and to Deeks- about why she had chosen to keep Kensi in the dark about Jack, and when she came to know Jack (and if she had been following Kensi for a long time before she came to work at NCIS). I need her to apologize for her horrible judgment that nearly got the whole team killed were it not for Deeks. I need her to apologize to Deeks for allowing him to think that he was responsible for Kensi being sent away. And I need Deeks and Kensi to get a chance to express anger over that and then perhaps to forgive Hetty and move on. Without such a scene, the two of them either look like the most gullible people in the world (did they think it was a coincidence that Kensi was sent to shoot Jack?), or way too forgiving.
Also in the Running
Among the many missing scenes I wish were canon:
- The 2nd hospital scene in “Ascension” where Deeks throws his badge across the room (on the DVD)
- Post-“Human Traffic”: What happened after Deeks walked away from the team?
- Post-“The Debt”: Did he and Kensi talk more? Did Kensi hold a grudge?
- Post-“Spoils of War”/pre-“Windfall”: How did Deeks help with Kensi’s recovery?
- Post-“Impact”: What happened when Deeks woke up? How did Kensi continue to help him with his recovery? How much time elapsed before “Omni“?
- I’d like to have seen a separate, more personal, video from Kensi to Deeks before she went rogue in “Spoils of War.” Was she really going to leave him with “It was an honor and my pleasure to work with you”?
- I’ve always wanted to see the deleted “arrest” scene from “Plan B” where Sam and Callen arrest Max Gentry (featured on an Insider Daily Brief about the episode)
- What about Deeks driving Julia to the boatshed in “Blye K, Pt 2”? What did they talk about? How proud was Deeks of Kensi? How obvious was it to Julia that he was in love with her?
- Post-“Belly of the Beast”: I would have really liked more of Sam and Callen looking after Deeks. At least we got this great post-ep fic from Sweet Lu
- More Deeks surfing in any episode ever
The Top 3 is taking a holiday break, but in our next installment in January, we’ll enjoy one final week of wish fulfillment, talking about the episodes for which we’d most want DVD commentary from Eric Christian Olsen and Daniela Ruah. In the meantime, what missing scenes made your Top 3? Tell us all about it in the Comments below.
Or, return to last week’s Top 3, the Top 3 Scenes I’d Change.
Have a very merry Christmas if you celebrate, and a happy and healthy New Year!